The Bible says in James 1:17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.
God is the giver of all good things. He loves us so very much that He gave His Only Begotten Son to die on the cross for us.
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.John 3:16
Because of God’s love for us, He gave! We as parents need to give gifts to our children. Not every gift has to be costly. There are some gifts that we can give that do not cost money but yields many good returns.
Let me share a few that have proven beneficial to my children. This is not a complete list by any means but it is a good place to start.
Pray For Your Kids
The most important gift by far to give your children is to pray for them. There may be other people who will pray for your children from time to time, but you are the most constant people in their lives. If you don’t pray for them every day, who will?
Love Your Husband
The second most important gift you can give your children is to love their daddy. The two of you were a couple before your children were born and you will still be a couple after they are grown and move away. Here are a few ways to love their daddy.
- Pray for him to be the godly leader of your home and then submit to his leadership
- Show him love and affection. Men love to be shown affection. Hold his hand in front of your children. It shows them that you love each other.
- Make time for just the 2 of you. I know raising little ones is time consuming, but making time for a date with hubby is time well spent. It can be simple and inexpensive.
- Don’t give him your leftovers. Leftovers for dinner is acceptable, but don’t give him what is left of you after you have taken care of everyone else. He deserves more that your leftover time.
- Spend time in God’s Word and in prayer together. This can done simply and in a timely fashion. Don’t stress over taking the time, just do it. Begin simply and you will reap the rewards. Let your children in on it too. They will reap the benefits as well.
Your children need to be given an example of what a healthy husband/wife relationship looks like. Our culture gives them a distorted view of this relationship. One day your child/children will be a husband or a wife. Give them a role model to pattern after. Also, pray for who they will marry. It’s never too early to begin praying for their spouse.
Take the time to give generously to your children these gifts. I promise, you will not regret it.